When my husband and I first decided to switch to a paleo lifestyle I have to admit I almost cried thinking about giving up street tacos. Growing up in rural northern California, street tacos were always one of my favorite comfort foods and I wasn’t sure I could live without them. It wasn’t until I ordered The Zenbelly Cookbook by Simone Miller that I saw a ray of hope. She has the most amazing tortilla recipe made out of plantains. I was amazed at how close these resemble homemade corn tortillas.
The link for the recipe in her blog is here, but do yourself a favor and order her cookbook. You will not be disappointed!
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- red onion, cilantro, lime, avocado, salsa for garnish
- one batch of plantain tortillas from the Zen Belly Cookbook, link provided above
- Combine chipotle powder, cumin, chili powder, paprika and salt, mixing to form a dry rub
- Spread dry rub evenly onto chicken thighs
- Heat olive oil in large nonstick pan over medium heat
- Cook thighs in pan until golden brown and cooked through, about 7 minutes per side
- Remove chicken from heat and chop into small, bite size pieces
- Place chicken into your plantain tortillas and top with your favorite garnish
I hope you enjoy these as much as we have. I even got a, “damn, these are good” from the husband!