You can save money while eating a paleo or whole foods diet. Here’s how:
1. Plan your meals for the week.
- If you do just one thing on this list, do this one. Making a meal plan for the week is the one thing you can do to lessen your grocery bill.
- If you don’t know what you are eating for dinner you are more likely to make an expensive last minute trip to the grocery store or a restaurant.
- Planning your meals for the week lessens food waste as well. If you grab something at the grocery store just because it “looks good” there is a good chance it may end up in the trash before you figure out when or how to eat it.
2. Use your leftovers.
- Box leftovers from dinner into individual servings to use for lunch the next day.
- Box leftovers from dinner into individual servings and put in the freezer for when you need a last minute lunch or dinner.
3. Eat Seasonally
- Pay attention to which fruits and vegetables are currently in season in your area, these will always be less money.
- Visit your local farmer’s market for deals.
- Check out the weekly flyer from your grocery store for what is on sale this week and plan your meals around these items.
4. Shop smart
- Check out Amazon Prime. It’s a godsend for a small-town girl like me. For $99 a year you get free 2 day shipping on a gazillion items. If I need an odd ingredient, like arrowroot powder, I don’t want to drive all over my small town looking for something that might not even be there. Not only will I find it on Amazon, it’s usually cheaper and I’ll have it on my doorstep for free in two days. The $99 a year gets you a lot more than free 2 day shipping and its already paid for itself for me in a couple months!
- Utilize your big box stores like Costco. Where I’m from you can’t beat Costco for quality and prices on their meat.
5. Consider a small garden or backyard chickens
- You don’t have to have a huge garden to save money. Here is a picture of my raised box that I grow vegetables in. It isn’t big at all and fits nicely in my side yard. But let me tell you, I have tomatoes and zucchini coming out of my ears from this little box.
- At the moment we have 5 chickens. I love my backyard chickens. They are easy to take care of, quiet and I get 5 eggs a day from them. Pretty sweet!
I hope you found some tips here that will help you save some money! I know they have helped us!